Saturday, February 16, 2013

Meat Your Match dog treats from Rachael Ray magazine ( the girls are low on snacks!)

The girls are almost out of dog treats so this morning I was busy baking some tasty snacks for them.  This recipe makes 6 regular size muffins and since my dogs are teeny-tiny I had to alter it a little.
First, I doubled the ingredients so I will have enough for a few months.  The extras are frozen in small packages.



Second, I used my mini-muffin pans and made much smaller meat bites.

 

Since I doubled the recipe I had A LOT of meat to cook.  I quickly filled the pans and thought of another way to cook everything at once.  I used my stone baking pans and made small balls of the mixture.

My ingredients:
a little over 2 pounds of ground sirloin (2 packages from the market)
1 bag of frozen peas and carrots (why save the little bit left in the bag?)
3 whole eggs and 3 extra egg yolks (I used the whites for my breakfast)
1 cup cooked brown rice
rubber gloves for mixing by hand
Very easy and quick recipe.  Thanks Rachael Ray!  
Note:  Every month in her magazine she includes a recipe for the pooches in our lives. 

These totally passed the taste test so I will make these again for the girls and their friends.  What will I do different?
I won't use the mini muffin pans at all.  I will use all of my baking stones and dishes for cooking.  MUCH easier to clean the flat pans vs. the mini cups. 
Call me lazy.  I just try to save time and effort whenever possible.
Double the recipe.
Bake to suit you. The dogs don't care what shape the treats are - they just want to eat them!

I started making my own dog treats a few years ago after the dog food/treat additives scare. It's like cooking my own food - I prefer to know what is in there and the same goes for my girls.

Everything I cook for them is suitable for human consumption too. They will be a little bland due to no salt, pepper, or other flavorings.

Happy Dog Treat Baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment