Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Gotta Love Riley

Tonight was dinner night with the Egal family at their home. Riley had a project in mind but it was ever changing. One thing for sure it included a bride and groom that she cut on The Frog. She had an idea to make a box and I showed her how to take a long piece of cardstock, fold it in half, and then fold those 'in' to make a box with equal sides - can ya picture it? now, this was more like a tube -open on both ends but it had corners so it is more like a open-ended rectangle.
I explained to her how to make little thingys to attach to the feet of the B&G and then glue them to the bottom of the box....and to make it like this thing that we all made in grade school art class. What are those thing called? I think we made them with shoe boxes. I couldn't think of what they are called so I asked Ryan and Maria if they could remember.
Here is the conversation that made me laff and giggle like I had downed about 7 margarita's.
Shelley: Hey Maria and Ryan, what is that thing called that we made in art class? You know that thing that you look into and it looks like a 3-d picture
Ryan: (I don't think he said anything, he was watching the sports news)
Maria: Oh I know - as she puts her hands to her eyes simulating a kaleidoscope.
Me: No, not a kaleidoscope - a diorama? I can't think of what it is called. Remember, we made them in like first grade art class or something.
Riley: WAIT! You guys were in first grade together?
Shelley: laffing hysterically (I don't know, it just struck me as funny and oh-so-cute)

Oh, the things kids say. Maybe it wasn't so funny to you but for some reason it made me really laff and I didn't want Riley to think I was laffing AT her so I tried to contain myself which made it worse.

I don't think Maria and Ryan were even born when I was in first grade. I am old but I thank Riley for thinking that we all went to first grade together.

Back to the project.....I might have a pic of our creation to post soon. It truly is a work of art. After she glued the B&G to one end she drew a 'carpet' down the center. She then glued flowers along the edges of the carpet. She is going to be a flower girl in a spring wedding and that is the inspiration for this gift.
Anyhoo, she asked me to draw some people (yeah, right) since I had the bright idea of making a crowd down both sides of the 'walls' of the box. She was not impressed with my stick figures. The light bulb went off in my head and I started cutting small celebrity heads out of a 'US' magazine. The guest list is incredible for this wedding. However, I had to draw the line at more than one Zac Efron (sp).

We then made windows for the outside of the box with more celebrities looking 'out'. My personal fav is a paned window with Madonna on the left and Guy on the right. hee hee

It wasn't complete in Riley's eyes without a pointy thing on top. She meant a steeple. Well, I'm no engineer but I fashioned a funky steeple and tomorrow she will make one of those plus signs to put on it. She meant a cross. She wanted me to explain why they used crosses but I couldn't go there.

One more thing she said to her momma: "shelley is off her chain" she explained that was a good thing...

I've rambled too much but this was a great moment that I wanted to keep in my mind - and one way I do that is by blogging it...

2 comments:

  1. Oh how cute...
    I can't wait to see the wedding box, I think there needs to be one more guest added ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too cute!

    Love the innocence of wee ones...they think all adults are the same age.

    ReplyDelete