Sunday, February 8, 2009

Pirates, Beads, Cannons, WATCH OUT

Every year in Tampa Jose Gaspar the pirate invades Tampa demands the key to Tampa from the mayor. This has been going on for years - truly - YEARS - and gets bigger and better every time. The events span over a 5-6 week period with a few parades, a distance classic run that brings competition from around the world as well as 100s from Tampa, a fine art show, and who knows what else.

Well, yesterday was the actual pirate invasion and this year I was fortunate to witness it from the Coast Guard base. Ryan is in the CG and the Egals invited me to come hang out with them. Last year I went to the big parade with Joni and that was a lot of fun. I had a ticket to do that again but decided to see if it could be sold so I could go to the CG.

The CG had food and drinks as well as a few play areas for the kids. Ronan loved the huge blow-up boucy thingy. I had some pics of the kids in that thing but I think they may have gotten deleted. If I find the pics, I will add them later.

Here is Ronan sitting on my lap waiting for the Pirate Shiii to arrive. Meanwhile helicopters flew over head (look she-ee, look) and cannons boomed around (ooohh boom). Occasionally a boat would approach the sea wall and toss some beads our way.




Then, the parade started. The nuggets took the opportunity to see most of it from a higher vantaage point. What a beautiful family. (picture removed due to someone saying they looked terrible in it) LOL


Tracy May and the start of his bead collection. Maybe Tracy will share some of his pictures. If so, I'll post them later.

Ashlynn and Riley after a few more boats had passed. Beads! Beads! Over here, Over here! Those phrases were shouted and beads were tossed.

Jose Gaspar's pirate ship - the focal point of the boat parade. Other Krewes have boats as well and they were not far away. After the ship and boats dock, the krewe members head to their floats and the street parade starts a couple of hours later.

Not sure what this is all about but she wanted me to delete this pic. I think this is the first time I didn't do what Riley asked! I like this pic!
Ronan after a loud cannon BOOM.
More boats.

Ronan was just a little tired after the day.


Short and shaky video of some of the boats passing by.

No comments:

Post a Comment