Friday, November 13, 2009

The Riverside Hotel, Abe's BBQ, Red's Blues Club, Club 2000, and a few other places around Clarksdale, MS

We got here either a little early or a little late - depends on how you look at it I suppose. This was taken close to 7am. I'm thinking we were about 2 hours late. Dang.
Clarksdale has a lot of music history for those interested. Since I'm getting tired, here is some info from wikipedia:
Riverside Hotel, located at 615 Sunflower Avenue, is a historic hotel in Clarksdale, Mississippi in operation since 1944. It was the fourth marker place on the Mississippi Blues Trail. Famed for providing lodging for such blues artists as Sonny Boy Williamson II, Ike Turner, and Robert Nighthawk, it was also where Bessie Smith died in 1937 after her fatal car accident on Highway 61 (then known as the G.T. Thomas Hospital). Ike Turner wrote and rehearsed his song "Rocket 88" here. Robert Nighthawk left his suitcase in his room there just before he died.
Abe's is the place to grab a pulled pork sandwich if you stop in Clarksdale. Well, if the place is open! I learned quickly about Blue Sunday... and then again... Blue Monday... translated to 'many places are not open on Sunday and Monday'.... Unfortunately I did most of my traveling Sunday and all museums and other places of interest are closed. I remember when it was like that most everyplace. I could get all of the fast food I wanted and even go Krogering - but - try to get a tamale or bbq plate and you are out of luck. I was referred to a Mexican restaurant that was packed and the food was very good.

I stopped by here to listen to some music but the place was dead. Tuesday night in the Delta isn't such a great night to party either.

Yes, that is Imitation Elsie sittin' on the smoker.




1 comment:

  1. I hope you didn't stay at the Riverside "Hotel." It looks deserted!

    ReplyDelete