Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Pumpkin Roll... rolling right into a big 'ol mess

So, I was gonna make a pumpkin roll cake for Thanksgiving. When it came time to remove it from the pan and roll it in powdered sugar....well, it was heavy and hot and I couldn't manage it. I dropped the dang thing. For some weird reason I had the oven open and was standing right there. The cake dropped onto the door and split, etc. Part of it went thru the door opening into the drawer below, part on the floor, a chunk in the oven. I was so ...well, you can imagine. I nearly threw it all into the garbage and then I thought, 'Heck No! I'm gonna eat it if nothing else.'
I was able to cut some of it into squares and the other parts are just chunks. I had a nice plate of crumbs and smaller pieces that I've been eating all day.
Above was shot with the phone 'cause I was too distraught to find the real camera.
This is the finished product. This picture makes the cakes look small but they are 2" square or so ... and various shapes.
Jess, I was doing so good.... I even made 1/2 of the cake sans walnuts!

1 comment:

  1. You need to talk to my niece! She had a similar experience and since then has turned pumpkin "roll" into a colossal cake with layers of different flavored creams! She even frosts it! I will try to find the picture and share it. She brought one that was like 6 layers Saturday after Thanksgiving. She vows to never make a pumpkin ROLL again!!

    ReplyDelete