Monday, November 16, 2009

More sites around Memphis

I visited so many places and there are many more on my list. A close 2nd to Graceland on my favorite list in Memphis was Stax Records. They did a great job of compiling and displaying the history. BUT - NO PICTURES. NONE at all. I didn't cheat and use my phone; I respected their wishes but DANG. I needed a pic of that Superfly Gold-Plated Cadillac El Dorado once owned by Issac Hayes!
Imitation Elsie got a few whistles from the workers across the street and also some peeps driving by. She was a little embarrased but happy she was noticed! This is a sad site just around the corner from Stax. Many of the musicians who recorded there were from this neighborhood which was a little worn but had character.
Here is Lisa, one of my co-workers. We had a little time so I took her to the Civil Rights museum. This was the 2nd visit in three days for me. I still cried at the end of the film. Another life taken at such a young age.
Another stop was the Rock and Soul museum in downtown Memphis. That was a lot of fun too. Again, the little radios with recording narrations provided by satellite radio.
The Gibson Guitar factory is across the street but had cancelled a few tours that day and I didn't want to wait a few hours. So, I'll just have to go back to Memphis so I can see how those amazing instruments are made.
I ate a lot of pulled pork and bbq last week. I have now acquired a taste for all kinds of bbq! I stopped here because the place was packed and I figured...if the locals eat here, so should I. Well, I found out later this place is somewhat famous :) It is along side a busy road and I passed it a few times going from here to there and kept seeing all the locals in there. Work vans, work trucks, etc.







I had sweet potato pancakes at the Arcade, the oldest restaurant in Memphis. I'm gonna make some just as soon as I get to the market and the ingredients! This place is a block from the Civil Rights Museum. If you go there, eat here!



While browsing the many gift shops at Graceland I kept seeing these chocolate bars, chocolate guitars, chocolate, chocolate, chocolate. I finally looked at the back of one expecting to see McChocolate or something but there was a name I didn't recognize: Dinstuhl's. Of course the librarian in me had to research this place. I found out that they are like the Esther Price of Dayton. I went to one of the stores before I went to the airport and had to partake. The reason they are in Graceland is because Elvis used to buy his candy here. He had Lisa Marie's Easter baskets made by Dinstuhls, etc. Chocolate fit for a king. Works for me. I even bought some chocolate covered grapes. Don't knock it 'til you try it. They were awesome.
Ground Zero Blues Club - Memphis
I went here twice and I think the food is much better at the Clarksdale location. However, in Memphis you can get sweet potato fries or a baked sweet potato with your meal. yum. The music was knock-your-socks off good at this place tho. It is one block off Beale Street and I will return. I wasn't impressed with Beale Street at all. I walked up one side and down the other and hit the road. I'd go again tho if someone wanted...any takers?
I have to admit that this was the nicest place I stayed on this journey. The Marriott at Thousand Oaks.

I was looking for a few books so I (of course!) googled 'used books Memphis' and found this little place close to downtown. I loved this shop and hope it stays in business forever. Support your local used book and music stores!

I think that about wraps this jaunt for now. It was loads of fun, exhausting, saddening, enlightning (sp), and I'd do it again next week.

Although, I do want to go to Nashville the next time I'm scheduled for Memphis. I will take one day and go back to Clarksdale and reconnect with the blues roots.

I hope I didn't bore you too much!

1 comment:

  1. Ever wonder where your love of the "blues roots" comes from? I get like that with certain things and have no idea why!

    ReplyDelete