Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Facebook Scams, for real, google it if you doubt me

Scenario:

Person A: Facebook account is hacked
Person B: Logged into Facebook and thinks he/she is chatting with Person A
Person A: (not the real person A) convinces Person B that he/she is stranded in London, has been robbed, is injured, etc. etc. etc. and needs money NOW. Not later, NOW.
Person B: is in distress thinking his/her close friend is in trouble and wires money to London.
Person A: (again, fake person) collects the cash and deactivates the Facebook account, after taking all personal info, deleting all friends, etc.

This is real people. It happened to close friends of mine. Seriously. Monday. In a matter of hours while Person A was at work. Person B is now out of an undisclosed amount of cash. It is not recoverable.

I'm not kidding.

Google this: Facebook London Scams or any variation.

You all know I deactivated my FB account a while back. Well, Monday evening I went in and hid all information, deleted most friends, etc. I'm not taking a chance.

I know it does not seem possible that this could happen. Apparently these con artists are VERY convincing.

Just wanted you to know that it does happen to real, intelligent, loving, caring, compassionate, people. It could happen to anyone.

2 comments:

  1. I think that this whole story is just so sad. To take advantage of people trying to help someone, well I hope they will just rot in hell someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can vouch for this too! It happened to my coworker!! Geez!!

    Happy Thanksgiving Shelley!!

    ReplyDelete