Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Frost KILLS.. or at least maims

Last week my yard suffered back to back frost blows. As if the first night wasn't enough. This is what the gardens look like after a frost:

This was a large jade plant. I'm not so sure this will recover.

Here you have an assortment of fried bamboo, hibiscus, and others.

Two members of the ficus family, a rubber plant and fiddle leaf fig. Both toast. In between the two ficus you have the remains of a banana tree. The third variety of ficus, varigated weeping fig, didn't make it into the picture but a few of them are behind and to the right. They are toasted as well.


This is one of my favorite palms - A fishtail palm. It is usually dark green. It will survive but it is stunted. My bat lilies took a hit too. Way back in my blog I posted a pic of a bloom that finally appeared on the bat lily. Hopefully it will rise up.

A hedge of crotons.
Queen sago, plumeria, cardboard palm - all crispy.
What a disaster!
One of my favorite crotons ever. Underneath, at ground level, there are some 'normal' leaves. I'll be doing a severe prune on this soon. This was a beautiful specimen that greeted you as you walked to the front door. The large pot of mint/parsley/petunias in the top of the pic were not affected at all.
Just a big 'ol mess.
Can anyone say Miracle Grow and A LOT of Water? I'll post updates in a few months.

2 comments:

  1. Wow Shelley, your frost was a lot worse than ours. Queen palms are still nice and green but the other palms got brown on the edges, crown of thorns around the mailbox are brown but the big ones around the back palm palm tree are just fine. Also the roboleini's are just find, front and back.

    Don't cut anything back yet, I'd wait another month or so...be sure all chance of frost is gone.

    It's a shame everything had to die right before Superbowl. Hopefully the city of Tampa is replanting some things quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry to see these pictures! I know you must be so sad. Hopefully some of them will come back with a little lovin :)

    ReplyDelete