Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Ace is the word, is the word, is the word, the word, the word, word, word

Oops, it's GREASE is the word! I had the opportunity to see Grease tonight in NYC. I took advantage of my student status and purchased my ticket for 36.50. Woo Hoo!

The venue is small and there isn't a bad seat in the house. I think it holds about 1500 people. The levels are 'stacked' vs rows of seats going and going. I was in the third row, above the floor seats. The were about maybe 5 rows in my section and then about 15 or so behind them. If you've ever been to the historic Tampa Theatre, the seating is similar except the upper mezz begins much closer to the front.

Anyhoo, there are lots of tickets for all shows and the 1/2 price booth is a great option. Rush and SRO tickets are available for most shows and for less than 25 each. I'm going to try to go to a show the next two nights... I'm exhausted now so we'll see....

I was able to get a few pics and videos. I know, I know 'no pictures or recording devices of any type' WELL, towards the end of the show everyone started snapping away. I'm a lemming so I followed.... I'm glad I did! Now if I only had some video editing software..................... more text to follow. I'm tired, it's 3am....
I'm not sure these are in the correct order. I'll check that tomorrow.


Before the show, at the stage door. The stage door is about 20 feet west of the box office and entry doors. It is unlocked, people come and go, and if you want to know if someone is there, just open it and ask the person standing there! Ace finally arrived around 630 I think. It seemed kinda late since the show was supposed to start at 7pm. He didn't remember me but that's ok. I can't imagine him remembering anyone after seeing how many people love and follow him He took a couple of pics of us with my camera - those lovely self portraits. He said 'I have long arms, I'll take the pics!' No one was around to offer. Well, those pics were both very blurry and were deleted. I knew I'd get another chance after the show to see him and have a photo op.

He said he was hungry and was going to get some pie. I watched the street and when I saw him walking back towards the theatre I shot this video:


He thought I was snapping pics, hence the pause at the end. Anyone know how to extract photos from this video?
I waited around until 755 for Olivia Newton John to appear. I finally went inside to my seat and my feet thanked me.
On with the show. It was wonderful Colorful, happy, funny, all the best adjectives you can imagine.
These videos were taken at the end of the show. If you go and want some pics, be ready with the camera during the last number. Everyone starts snapping away.







Of course I loved the band. I guess they call it an Orchestra on broadway. The drummer was theatrical in his movements and the huge red mohawk was the icing on the cake.



ONJ was there to promote a give away she is promoting with Shape Fitness Centers.

After the show many fans gathered at the stage door again. This time there are removable fence sections all around to keep us away from the exit. Many of the performers just walk out - wave - or smile and keep going to their waiting ride. Some stop and take 1-2 pics and sign a few autographs. They don't stay long.
Just seconds before Olivia Newton John came out the 'real' paps and newscasters started aiming their cameras at the door. They must have ESPN or something.
This is ONJ coming out the door - she's waving. she had LOTS of fans there who were disappointed I bet. she could have AT THE VERY LEAST just stood there for 15-30 seconds and let us get a pic of her.
Cropped version of pic.

She literally breezed out the doorand when she got to the street - the crowd around me disappeared. At least 2/3 of the people ran down the street following ONJ. It was great because Ace came out next and there were no more boneheads all around me!

When Ace started coming out the door I just started snapping because I wasn't sure he would come over or not. He is such a cutie. Not to give away anything about the show but you can tell this guy is at the gym on a regular basis. Go Greased Lightning Go!


Cropped version of pic. He had more fans waiting than the two top billed stars. He is third on the bill.


The young lady in the left of this picture is a huge Grease fan. Not just Ace, all of them. Her father and younger sister were there getting autographs and pictures. The cast (the ones who stopped!) remembered her because the last time she was there she was dressed as Rizzo. Rizzo Jr's dad took the pic for me.

Cropped version of pic. Thanks Joni.

5 comments:

  1. ACE is the word and is taking over NYC! I'm so glad you had fun at the show and got to see Ace. Yes I'm a little jealous but I'm so glad I got to spend the day in NYC with you via text msg :)

    I love the pic of you two together... so cute!!

    And the videos...makes me more excited for my trip!

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had a great time. Man is he hot. Thanks for sharing with us all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are looking beautiful... it is so not hard with that little man beside you...I so wish that I could scrunch in to Joni's suitcase... I have no words to describe that man and what he makes oiled women feel.... I am glad that you had such a good time...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I lurrrrrve Grease. I saw a stage production in 1977 in Dayton, Ohio. It was my first experience with musical theater. Barry Williams b.k.a. Greg Brady played Zuko. Ace is WAY hotter!

    ReplyDelete