Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year!

Last night we had a party of 11 to add to the 400 or so (maybe more? i don't know how many tickets were sold) in attendance at Skipper's Smokehouse. WMNF hosted this NYE party details:
WMNF Tribute to 1979 celebrating WMNF’s 30 years and a great year in music, 1979. Top Florida bands:
Ricky Wilcox and the Moonsnakes as Graham Parker and the Rumour
Urbane Cowboys as Joe Jackson (WHAT??? I totally missed this because I was waiting in the bar for my food. DANG IT~)
Talk To Mark as The Cars
Scott Elliott w/Talk To Mark as The Talking Heads
Captain Obvious and the Duh! Patrol as AC/DC (Freight Train Annie ROCKED the house. Videos are posted on You Tube... My friend Mike on guitar!)
Johnny Zoom Cheerlead Squad as Elvis Costello and the Attractions (Tie wasn't skinny enough but he pulled it off. Gotta love Elvis Costello)
Sons of Hippies as Blondie
Rebekah Pulley and the Reluctant Prophets as Supertramp (Thank goodness Donald Downer wasn't there last night)
Will Quinlan and The Diviners as Neil Young (What a great voice. I need to get to a WQ and Diviners show SOON)
Ted Lukas and the Misled as Tom Petty (They could have played the entire Refugee album and I wouldn't have minded)
DJ CenFlo and Ryan Bauer as The Sugarhill Gang (these guys were incredible too. how in the heck do they crank out that rap without taking a breath??)
Palantine as The Clash
Barely Pink as Cheap Trick (something about the hair distracted me thru this set but they were entertaining as always and had the crowd jumping. literally. dude in front of me nearly smashed me a few times)
Jeremy Gloff as Stevie Nicks + the midnight countdown (black dress, lace shawl, blonde wig, top hat. HE had it all!)
Vodkanauts played some 1979's singles + a disco mini-medley (by this time I was ready to head home even the V's are a fun band to watch - and they get the crowd dancing which is always fun to observe as well... )

At midnight, instead of the crystal ball.... Skipper's drops the MULLET and we all cheer. Bunch of dang drunks! Yeah, that's the stuffed mullet hanging above our heads. The pic doesn't do it justice.
Not me last night! I had 1/2 glass of wine and then switched to water.

1 comment:

  1. Holy crap! That sounds AWESOME! My husband is sick so we were stuck at home this year.

    Happy New Year Shelley!

    ReplyDelete