Sunday, January 3, 2010

Elsie and Maggie make their own cookies!

No, Elsie and Maggie didn't REALLY make their own treats. But they were always there helping Liz and me, licking the floor, cleaning the crumbs, etc.

Recipes used:
Cheese, please!
1 1/2 cup oat flour (grind regular oats into flour! Thanks Magic Bullet!)
1 1/2 cup brown rice flour
1 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 egg
2/3 cup water

Mix all ingredients thoroughly until a dough forms. Roll the dough to 1/4 inch thickness on a lightly floured surface (I used the rice flour to roll). Cut shapes and place on ungreased cookie sheet. They can be close together because they don't spread. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.

Store in the freezer or refrigerator.

Shelley's notes: I doubled this recipe. Liz rolled and cut while I just made little balls and hotdog shaped treats.



Recipe 2
Peanut Butter Carob Chip Cookies
1 1/2 cup oat flour
1 1/2 cup brown rice flour
1 cup carob chips
1 egg
1/2 cup peanut butter - unsalted if you can find it
2/3 cup water

Combine first five ingredients and mix until dough forms. Mix in the carob chips (I did this part by hand since the dough was so thick). Roll into small balls and place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 18-22 minutes.

Freeze or refrigerate.

Shelley's Notes: Recipe doubled. I also didn't use as many carob chips - I used about 1/2 the bag so I have enough to make another batch someday. Also, cookie 'rounds' were made by shaping the dough with my hands into circles about the size of a half-dollar along with the bite-sized balls. Well, bite sized for Maggie, Dice, Bailey, Sookie, and Dexter.

One more note. Elsie is not usually allowed on the kitchen counter. Thanks Aunt Liz for letting Elsie break the rules today.

These recipes made PLENTY of treats to divide between all paws. We have decided to not buy dog treats again. These were easy to make and now I know what the paws are consuming. No preservatives, no weird ingredients, and they smell so good!

3 comments:

  1. Since I'm not into the "kitchen stuff" I'll just buy them from you! Maybe you can make another store at work lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did they taste? I know a good cook always samples the food and I know YOU are a good cook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah what Carole said, did you try one? On the flip side of that do you think a kitty would like them? If I bought canned tuna packed in water, dehydrated it and used it with some of those ingredients, would that work also? I smell a home business opp in the works :) The cats never get the good stuff like the dogs, dare I say it, DO! sniff sniff :)

    ReplyDelete